Legend Copy - Copy a legend to other themes (and convert it if necessary)
Legend Copy (hotkey Taste Ctrl + K) enables you to copy a legend of a theme to other themes listed as well as the conversion of the legends.
- The destination themes that shall receive a new legend must be active.
- Source Theme: From the list of the other themes you can choose the source theme, i.e. the theme legend shall be copied to the destination themes.
- Click on the button to run the command. When finished, the status bar shows how many themes the legend was copied to successfully and how often it failed due to conversion errors.
The following conversions will be done when copying:
- Legends for point themes (Marker), line themes (Pen) or polygon themes (Fill) will be converted between each other as far as possible. The foreground color is always copied, the background color only if existing. The symbol size is being converted (point size - line width - outline width).
- Legends of grid themes can also be used for other themes (even without Spatial Analyst Extension).
- Legends of shape files or grids can also be used for image themes, because they are converted into a color map as far as possible. Thereby grids can be added as image themes to the view with their real colors, even when the Spatial Analyst is not available. This works only with integer grids with little values though, because those are treated as colors from 0 to 255 (i.e. the color 1 can represent the values 1, 257, 513, 769 etc.). With cell values over 255 multiple relations and wrong colors could result. Grids with floating point values or more than 255 different integer values can never be displayed correctly.
- For image themes with a single color band only a single band legend can be used. For image themes with several color bands only a multiband legend can be used. If you want to use a single band legend for an image with several color bands, you have to activate Single Band in the legend editor first. Then you can choose the band you want.
The classification field can be chosen as follows:
- The field name of new legend is used as far as possible.
- If this field is missing in a target theme or if it is of the wrong type (text instead of number or vice versa) the current classification field of the target theme is used.
- Select classification field: If this field is missing too or if it is of a wrong type, a dialog window will be opened in which a text or a numeric field of the theme must be selected as a new classification field. This field will be used for all further themes from then on. Click on Cancel to ignore the corresponding target theme - the legend will not be copied to this theme.
© 2003 WLM Klosterhuber & Partner OEG